2015-16 Budget Adopted 6/23/15
The Board of Trustees adopted the district's 2015-16 budget at its June 22 meeting. Deputy Superintendent of Finance & Support Tony Harkleroad presented highlights of the budget in support of the district's strategic vision, priority goals, and in response to continued student enrollment growth.
RISD is expected to realize additional revenue due to moderate projected enrollment growth. Funding from the 2015 Texas legislative session also provided a small increase for public education for two years, including the 2015-16 budget year. While RISD appreciates the efforts of legislators, funding levels per student remain lower than the 2010-11 school year, prior to the historic funding reductions of the 2011 Texas legislative session.
Recommendations for the 2015-16 budget reflect district priorities and feedback received from the community Budget Review Team, staff and Board members in the budget planning process.
Highlights of the 2015-16 budget include:
- No increase to the operating tax rate, which remains unchanged since 2007, when it was reduced to its current level of $1.04 per $100 of taxable value
- Additional teaching allocations to keep pace with enrollment growth
- Additional staff allocations to serve students receiving special services
- A stipend for special education teachers as an area of critical need
- Three percent raise for teachers and staff who meet performance expectations
- An increase in the district's contribution to employee health care premiums to help offset state increases
See RISD’s 2015-16 Budget